Saturday, February 24, 2007

The rationalist in me

I had never believed that I was a quintessential rationalist. But I always had a thirst for knowledge, especially knowledge of the unexplained. I remember questioning every religious ritual (from something small like visiting temples to more challenging ones like avoiding non vegetarian food during months of fasting) I was put through. Some other features of our religion (and largely a part of the Indian culture) like the disregard shown to our feet (the prayer one says before one puts his feet on the ground, asking mother earth for forgiveness, for touching her with our feet exemplifying this) have not got an advocate in me. It was this rationalist in me that pondered on this issue – the issue of life after death – or can we say life before birth!

I believe a very simple principle – of good begetting good. I believe that life throws at you what you have thrown at it – both the bad and the good done For a staunch believer of these statements, the question of whether there is life after death (or more precisely life before birth) would give an indubitable answer – YES! I have only one argument as a vindication. Take a newspaper and read the accounts of little children dying or being inflicted with injuries, or of them being exploited, due to various causes and for different reason like war, disease, or simply ill-luck. Had these tiny tots done such grave mistakes in the few years they graced the lives of the people around, that they have been reprimanded thus?

One thought lingers in my mind – in what sense am I a rationalist?

1 comment:

Anup J Nambiar said...

Your questioning yourself is fine. We all do it at times.whatever we cannot explain- we deem it as fate or destiny. Like you rightly said we get what we sow. Then - what about the death of small kids for no offence of theirs. Here too I have an answer. When a child dies-the people to grieve the most are the parents. So it is as a result of something unforgiuvable that the childs parents have done in this JANAM or the previous one. That's the only answer I have. So we people are somehow controlled by this great fear and we try our best not to do anything bad in this JAnam-we cannot undo what we might have done in the last JANAM- but we can control our actions of this JAnam. amma