Sunday, April 22, 2007

Goodbye time

The feeling had finally sunk
in the people around.
We were parting,
after four years of fun and frolic.

We had the downs which
played low to the umpteen highs.
Who would remember the
one black sheep,
when we had ninety nine white ones?

The people around weren’t their
normal selves for a few days now.
They were happy at getting across
a wide autobahn in life,
but then the idea of parting from
friends, wasn’t very appetizing.

Some asked me how I felt about the same,
I replied that I had experienced
many such days in life.
I gave instances – when I had to leave
my parents, when I left school – two different ones.
I didn’t know when I answered that I was
only feigning mental strength.

We all said to each other,
that our lives would cross each
others some time, somewhere.
I knew we had our apprehensions about
this question – we hid it well.

When it was the actual goodbye time,
I still felt I was the ‘experienced’ one.
Little did I know what I was feeling
deep within.
When on the bus taking me away
from them, a sudden sense of loneliness,
gloom dawned in.

A phone call from one of them
was the last straw on the camel’s back.
It broke my defenses.
I had tears wet my eyes after a really long time.
I lost my normally present poise.
I had my glance fixed out of the window,
lest the co-travelers would see me in that state.

With my eyes moist I felt ‘normal’.

6 comments:

Anup J Nambiar said...

hi monutta,

well written. had my eyes moist as well trying to imagine what you final year parting friends would be going through.

then this is life i guess. meeting, parting, good times, bad times, hopes, despairs, memories etc. and with everyone of these life's little precious lessons to help everyone go through their lives in their own special ways.

love
achan

Anu Chettur said...

thats a very touching entry.... me going tthrough the same thing here.. thank u for sharing that thought.. u write well... :-)

Anup J Nambiar said...

thank you ...

Magi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magi said...

hi anup..
It is believed that " Tears are true than smile because ..You can smile at everyone, but You will cry for only the one who is special to You.." Your words show that we all have reminded special in your sub-conscious..I thank (on behalf of every zero-watt) that subtle being in you..
with love ..
mag..

Unknown said...

a very touchy one indeed.
its almost 4 years since i have passed out from college but even now i have the same feeling when i think about all those days. still fresh in my mind.
after college i have lost friends gained a few but still only one thing to say "those were the best days in my life"