Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The ride downhill

I took a bicycle for the small trek to my swimming pool one evening. After my usual swim of a few laps, exhausted, I dressed and wore my running shoes. I checked my mobile phone for any calls or messages I had received during those forty minutes. Sometimes I feel the mobile is such an annoyance. It keeps you chained to your past, and to your future, when all your heart wants, is to be in the now – carefree - enjoying the surrounding - the cold touching your skin, the freshness of the air entering your lungs, the ruckus of the birds nesting for the night. There are other times I love being connected to my past and my future, along with my present, because they were created by people who made life worth living.


The short ride back to my room was down a hill. Without the least of efforts from my side I went down, full throttle. Even with my mobile phone jumping about in my pocket, I felt I was living in the truest sense. I had to slow down soon when I entered a road with some traffic on and began wondering. I thought of how much I had struggled to get on top of the hill, just an hour back, on the way to the pool. I remember, I had given up some twenty meters before I had reached the pool. My thigh muscles could not carry me any further. And since I was going for a nice workout in the pool, I had to conserve some energy.


That evening, I decided to take my bicycle to the pool more often - to remind myself of the ride downhill that follows my effort to the top.

9 comments:

Prasad said...

Dude..!! gt to tell you... luved this blog of urs.... awesome...!!!
quit electrical man...!! this suits you :D

Vivishek Sudhir said...

the ride downhill, the literal and the metaphorical sense, teach us lessons that we ought to remember. In particluar that a high is a state only in comparison to a low, as is the reverse case; thus both highs and lows are illusions. what is absolute is what exists on its own, things like the present, raw, on ur face, out there...

Akil said...

beautifully simple.

Unknown said...

GOOD STYLE OF WRITING. AND WORTH MENTIONING IS THE MORAL YOU DRIVED OF IT... ALL THE BEST.

Anup J Nambiar said...

I feel you guys liked this one just because each ad every one of us can relate to this ... nto a great piece of writing ... really :)

moi memoirs said...

i did lik de blog..and liked de way u put it..but aren't v to emphasize on de going up..de fact dat going down on any road is easier than climbin it..guess everyone has his own way of puttin things and kudos to dat..

ME said...

hey.. Yes I used to do the same.. Kept reminding myself of the ride downhill.. It makes your uphill ride easier.. atleast psychological ease!!

Anjana said...

You have to ask yourself why everyone likes this particular piece - as you said, it IS because everyone can relate to it..but that is the mark of a writer..to write about the mundane, the things people think about but don't always say - to confirm the truths they've always known. This is beautiful. :)

A Play Of Words ......... said...

Anup ettan i was going through the new blogs loved em all. But this one caught my interest because of its simplicity. Its beyond doubt that u write down experiences which convey many things besides their direct meaning. I just loved it. Maybe because u represent many of the chracters that i adore of u are always one such figure in my heart. Great going......
God bless u always